SART (Sexual Assault Response Team) is an innovative, multidisciplinary team created to provide quality, compassionate and consistent care, support and counseling to pediatric and adult victims of sexual assault.
DID YOU KNOW?
- A sexual assault occurs every two minutes in the United States.
- Nearly half of all rape victims are under 18 years old.
- On average, Mid-Iowa SART responds to more than 4 sexual assault victims each week in Polk County.
HOW SART MAKES A DIFFERENCE
- Prioritizing sexual assault services assures that victims are treated compassionately and promptly.
- We team with Polk County Crisis and Advocacy Services to provide a specially trained counselor to meet with the victim at the moment of crisis. Counseling and support provided throughout the judicial process and beyond.
- Our team of nurse examiners and counselors are on call 24/7.
- Our team of nurse examiners are specifically trained to assist sexual assault victims. They ensure victims are not re-traumatized and aid in supporting the victim’s healing process.
- Our victim focused collaboration with law enforcement has increased the number of reported sexual assaults.
- Our pediatric SART offers the same caring services as our adult program in concert with Regional Child Protection Center.
- Our pediatric nurse examiners are specially trained to address the needs of children.